This article is intended for Australian members. If you're looking for instructions for CoinJar UK, visit this article.
In order to make full use of CoinJar's currency exchange and bank transfer features, we first need to verify your identity. This procedure is in place to minimise the risks of fraud, identity theft, and money laundering.
Personal account vs. entity account
This article will guide you through ID verification for a personal CoinJar. If you're setting up a dedicated account for your company, trust, or Self Managed Super Fund, please instead refer to our article on verifying an entity account.
Benefits of completing ID verification
Not verified (default)
- Fully functional digital currency wallet for sending, receiving, and storing CoinJar's supported digital currencies.
ID verification completed
Includes the above features, as well as:
- Being able to link a bank account, and transfer Australian dollars to and from your CoinJar.
- The ability to convert funds between digital currencies and Australian dollars (buying/selling digital currencies).
Completing ID verification
CoinJar is not yet available in all regions. You must be a citizen of Australia or hold a valid Australian visa to complete identity verification.
If you're signed in to CoinJar using a desktop or laptop and your mobile number has been verified on your account, you can visit your Identity Portal and we'll send you an SMS with a link to download the app.
You'll need to have your identity documents nearby and accessible for this process.
Step 1 - Confirming your details
- Download our mobile app - available on iOS or Android
- Sign in using your email address and password
- Tap the 'More' tab, then tap 'ID verification'
- Select your country
- Review the Identity verification page, and then tap 'Get started'
- Tap 'Next'
- Enter your first name and tap 'Next'
- Enter your middle name and tap 'Next'. If you don't have a middle name, tap 'I don't have a middle name' and tap 'Next'
- Enter your last name and tap 'Next'
- Enter your date of birth and tap 'Next'
- Enter your full residential address, select it and tap 'Next'. If you're having trouble finding your address, tap 'Enter address manually'
- Review your details, then tap 'Next' if your detail are correct. Move on to Step 2.
Step 2 - Verifying your photo ID
To verify your identity, we need a proof of identity document such as a photo ID.
- Tap 'Next' to begin this process.
- Choose which document you will use to verify your identity
- Review the tips for taking a good picture for ID verification and tap 'Next'
- Follow the prompts to take photos of your document
- After you've taken the required photos, quickly review that all parts of the document are clear and visible, then tap 'Next'
- Our systems will automatically check your photos for quality before moving on to the next step.
Step 3 - Verifying your identity
Finally, we require an ID selfie to complete your ID verification.
- Tap 'Next' to begin this process.
- Review the tips for taking a good ID selfie for ID verification and tap 'Next'
- Our systems will automatically check your photo for quality.
That's it! Our Security Team will review your documents, and we'll notify you by email as soon as your ID verification is complete. Tap 'Done', and we'll be in touch.
- Australian Driver Licence
- Australian Passport
- An International Passport with a currently valid Australian Visa
- Medicare card
Please note that Keypass ID cards and digital driver licences are not accepted at this time.
CoinJar Support is typically unable to assist with the verification process directly, however if you have any enquiries, please submit a new Support request.
Reviewing your application
At times, it’s possible your ID verification will require further attention from CoinJar’s Compliance Team. For example, attempting to verify more than one CoinJar account is not permitted, and will require manual review. Our Compliance Team aims to resolve any verification issues within one business day, and will be in touch if they require anything further.
ID Re-verification (October 2018)
Due to changes introduced by AUSTRAC, CoinJar must ensure all CoinJar members trading on the CoinJar platform have complete ID verification according to current guidelines. The AUSTRAC commencement date for these new requirements began on October 2, 2018.
If you were verified before October 2018, and haven't yet completed ID verification using Digital iD™ - CoinJar's current identification process - please take a moment to re-verify your CoinJar. If you choose not to re-verify, you will be able to continue using your CoinJar to send and receive digital currencies, however you will not be able to take advantage of CoinJar's currency conversion features.
ID verification with Digital iD™ can be completed online, and is typically approved within a few minutes.