Covering how to become verified with CoinJar to enable deposits and currency conversion.
Before you can make full use of CoinJar's exchange services, we first need to verify your identity. This procedure is in place to minimise the risk of fraud, identity theft, and money laundering.
ID verification is currently available to those with Australian bank accounts exclusively, as we can offer bank transfer services within this region. Until we are able to offer bank transfers to additional regions, international customers will not be able to complete ID verification, however sending, receiving and storing bitcoin is possible for all CoinJar customers.
If you reside outside of Australia but have an Australian bank account, please contact our Support Team for assistance in completing your ID verification.
Required verification documents
To begin identity verification, please visit CoinJar's secure Identity Portal. You will be prompted to provide two seperate documents - a proof of identity, and a proof of address.
- Proof of identity. A Class A government-issued photo ID document showing your full name, expiry date and your date of birth. The document should:
- Be current (i.e. not expired).
- Be in full colour.
- Not be cropped or obscured in any way.
- Driver's License (issued by the state government)
- Australian Passport (issued by the Federal government) / Foreign Passport
Other accepted documents
- Firearms License (issued by the state government)
- 18+ Card/Proof of Age Card (issued by the state government)
We require a photograph/scan of the front and back of the document (excluding Passport).
Proof of address. A statement showing your full name and current residential address. The document should:
- Have a visible 'issued date' within the past 90 days.
- Be addressed to you and physically sent to your current residential address.
- Not be addressed to a PO box. We may accept a statement sent to a PO box providing the residential address is also listed clearly on the statement (such as with utilities bills).
- Not be an ID card, but a statement that proves your current residential address.
Utility bills, bank statements and tax statements are good examples. CoinJar cannot accept invoices for purchases or deliveries. If you're unable to provide a statement meeting the above conditions, your local bank branch should be able to provide you with a printed account statement including your full name and residential address.
Typically, manual review for ID documents can take up to three business days. If you have not been identified within this time, or you wish to request that the process be expedited, please contact our Support Team.
Your identification documents must be either scanned or photographed at high resolution in a well-lit environment, then uploaded separately under the appropriate category. The maximum file size is 5 MB.
You may watermark the images for security purposes, providing the watermark does not obscure any of the elements described above, or any other vital details. We may reject watermarked images at our discretion.
Your identification documents will be securely transferred over Secure Socket Layer (SSL) and stored using bank-grade encryption.
If your documents are not in English, we will require a second version of each submitted document that has been translated into English.
Updated: 24 Jul 2017 (AS)
Reviewed: 24 Jul 2017 (AS)